Thursday, March 11, 2010

BSLS Prologue counting down...

"I am so sad as I write this list, a rap sheet of sorts—an unsuccessful attempt at an impassionate look at a child I have always loved. After multiple trips to counselors and therapists over his first 9 years, in which they had no idea what ailed him, Quinn was finally diagnosed with Reactive Attachment Disorder (RAD). In spite of our best plans and intentions I was told he never attached emotionally to anyone, a bond necessary to love and live well. That still breaks my heart, but my “heart problem” developed over time; his seemed congenital.

"I wanted Quinn to become attached to me, to anyone, and did everything in my power to make that happen. For years I’d visited professionals who knew nothing of what I was describing. I even held on to the hope I’d meet one who would believe what I was seeing and saying. I went to graduate school and earned a Master of Arts degree in counseling out of self-defense, thinking that if I became a therapist I would have enough skills as “Q’s” mother to fix his problems. I was told to “just love him more” by well-meaning relatives. I felt guilty because in my pain I heard them say that the problem was me, that it happened because I didn’t love him enough. To blog on 3/11/10

Although we are still in the process of putting together those who'll help get The Boarder movie to the big screen there are several who quietly do outstanding work behind the scenes... Megan Yutesler and Carmen Cabana (co-art director and cinematographer) are the force behind this website. You're doing fabulous work, you two! Thank you, thank you!

Be well and have a great weekend. Jane

No comments:

Post a Comment