Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Prologue from 'Broken Spirits Lost Souls' continues...

"Quinn was unusual from the very first day I brought him home at four months old. He was my littlest baby and a pleasure to carry because of his diminutive stature. He hadn’t been premature, just the product of two shorter than average parents. He had a cap of black curls, honey brown skin, and huge black, sparkling, commanding eyes.

"He had been stuck in legal limbo for several months, released for adoption by his birth mother but still waiting for a final decision from the birth father. Just prior to his birth, state adoption laws had changed requiring a decision from both biological parents to keep their newborns or to relinquish them for adoption. The final choice needed to be made before the infants were available to be placed with a waiting family.

"So, during the required wait, my son was placed in a parochial “foundling home” and cared for by older, retired religious women. I was told he had been assigned a surrogate mother that served as his primary caretaker for the first four months of life. Although I had concerns about the emotional effects of a prolonged wait on Quinn, I actually had no say in the process. I was just the excited, expectant mother waiting for the phone call telling me my third child was ready to come home."

No comments:

Post a Comment